Saturday, December 1, 2012

Chasing Summer Reflections

We've had a great summer/fall season of climbing here in St. Louis. "Summer in St. Louis; Great?" You ask? Yep, summer and in St. Louis.

My earliest climbing memory for this 'Fall Season' stretches back to Jackson Falls June 6, 2012... I had one of those fun, magical days of climbing.

Climbers: Woody, Jaime, Sophie, Fran, Calvin
Weather: Unreal - dry and cool (60's).

You see the weather forecast and you think, "It's June. This is a freak weather pattern. We better get outside pronto." So we did. The summer drought had really scorched the midwest and I'd never seen the Falls this dry. The stream was gone. No waterfall, just a stagnant pool of water that only a mosquito could love marinated at the base of the falls.

We had a fun group and low expectations; it's June after all. If you can climb in June at Jackson, either you're crazy, a glutton for punishment, or you're in that early stage of love affair with climbing and think any climbing is better than none. We figured we'd show up and be lucky to get on some routes. Boy, were we lucky.

Major props to Woody for flashing his first (I believe) .11b, Stand and Deliver. Woody's a former NCAA level gymnast, and I believe he pulled out all he had from his bag of tricks to deliver on this climb. S&D climbs a deep water groove with two blunt aretes for your climbing enjoyment and an interesting crux. It's almost never dry this time of year. Any hint of rain and it seeps for the rest of the season.

Heartbreak of the day goes to Jaime for almost sending .12b, CroMagnon Warrior on her second try, with a minor foot slip after the crux at bolt 4 resulting in a cruel non-send. But she did crush Twist, .11c, Yuppie with a Gun, .11a, as did Sophie, .11c, both in great style.

As I mentioned, it was one of those rare, magical days for me. I just felt super light all day and I've been chasing that feeling ever since. I was able to climb one route from .10a - .11c and Cromagnon as well on my second attempt, after spending some time sussing beta. I didn't try anything super hard, but climbing was supremely enjoyable. I hope for more days like that.

I've been reflecting on our past season of climbing experiences with great friends. Each climbing milestone is, of course, a personal achievement. But our climbing family/group/community that we loosely call "Team Saucisson" elevates and energizes those experiences. I'll always enjoy climbing, whether just with my wife or with a larger group. But Team Saucisson is the best climbing family one could have. They're second to none.

1 comment:

Sof the Froggy said...

I'll second that Calvin. A family it is. Here is to more great climbing adventure with all of you!