Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Jackson Falls - Sept 21, 2008

Posted by Saucisson #3

Climbers - Angie, Calvin, Josh, Catherine

Today we send! Well, not really. Sunday was a nice, one-day trip to the Falls, with a bit of humidity, good temps, and rain on the way out. We got lucky.

Although only Saucisson #3 was there for the team, I dragged along a few friends from the gym and we met up with Jeremy, Ben, Sarah and another dude at the Big Starr Wall.

It was an easy sort of day - we traded off leads and belays on Da Bro 10b, the Birthday Route 10a, the 9 warmup and Alaska 10b. Ben worked on Wishbone 11a, which Saucisson #1 sent a while ago, and Jeremy actually onsighted the 11c next to it. Nicely done - another Soph project she sent recently.

After spending most of the day here, I moved back to the Beaver Wall with Jeremy to try and send Frizzle Fry 12b. You'll recall from an earlier post that I'd tried this a few times with Little Jon and thought it would go soon. This time, I deliberately rested at the 3rd draw on the 'beta' run, then finished it without too much trouble. OK, I thought, one-hang while putting the draws up, hopefully it'll go next try.

2 tries later, both one-hang affairs, I'm a bit ticked at myself, but I know I'm done for the day and it's started to rain. The second try, I failed going for a move after an undercling - powerful, but nothing crazy. The third, I actually made it to the last clip, rested as much as I could, but couldn't pull the last hard move to a good crimp - kind of a long, arm-length move before the top-out. Very poopy of me.

Josh and Catherine finished the day on a 5.8 next to Flinging Hog 11a, but with the rain, Angie didn't get a chance to climb it. I feel bad, as she was belaying for me on Frizzle.

Good day - we just beat the rain hiking out around 4:30 and had some good Mexican in Marion, IL before heading home. Frizzle. I'll get you next time.

No comments: