Saturday, July 11, 2009

Late Post - Ankle Sprains and Strengthening

It's late on Saturday night, but not too late, around 11:15. I just got back from helping a friend move in Carbondale, and although I'm pretty exhausted, I'm finding it hard to go to sleep.

I just read an article that I've been meaning to read for a while. If you're a boulderer and have sprained your ankle, this article may be for you. Of course, you may consider yourself a person of supreme balance, but try some of the exercises in this article. They're surprisingly difficult, even if you've never sprained your ankles (and by implication have good balance).

If you have sprained your ankles, research correlates that with poor balance. Doing some strengthening exercises for just a minute or two a day may help you significantly.

In other news, the St. Louis crowd is eagerly awaiting the return of His Lordship, Burkian Edwards, MI-6 Extraordinaire.

In additional unrelated news, I recently came back from the Red and will post a trip report shortly when I get my pics organized.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And return I shall, quite soon.... As always, at MI-6, we know where you are, nivlac, what you are doing, and the current threat you pose to the Sovereign..... (and maybe to yourself too!). Remaining as I am, your servant, Burke, Viscount Haslemere, OBE, QRH, LMNOP, LSMFT, MRCVS, etc., etc., etc....

JOE said...

Me and my weak ankles (and poor balance, apparently) thank you. When I had a bad sprain a couple of years ago Nikol advised me to do these exercises, and it really did help.