Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Red, Stick-clipping and Climbing

I saw a couple threads on people who have decked climbing the Return of Chris Synder .11d, at Roadside Crag. Both instances involved blowing the first clip. The first bolt is high (20 ft?) and apparently you start from a ledge, have a glassy foot to deal with and potential seeping holds. I haven't climbed it; anyone who has care to comment about the route? I've heard good things about the actual climbing.

Thread one & Thread two.

You'll see some discussion about risk and stick-clipping and an informal poll about adding bolts so the first isn't so high. Interesting that a couple route developers chimed in with cost adding to the decision to place the first bolt so high. Fair enough. I enjoy reading the back and forth that sometimes shines a little history about a route and other climbers from back in the day. Ok, maybe I just like reading in general.

BTW, here's a link to the owner's site for Roadside. Please read and respect the rules. I wasn't aware of the group size limitation before, though I don't think we usually have that problem. I am thankful these two folks got together to preserve one of the better climbing crags I've been to (notwithstanding how crowded it gets).

No comments: