Monday, January 19, 2009

Passing the Time - Updated Vid (Joe Kreidel)

Tomorrow, if I'm lucky and sane enough, I'm headed to the Holies with Joe. I know Joe's obsessed with climbing Jungle Book V8; me, just interested in being outdoors. The incipient weather keeps getting worse... could be in the 20's most of the day. Yikes.

If you're interested, here are a couple articles about climbing... this one from rockclimbing.com is a beautifully written piece answering the question every climber has on "why we climb" in the context of danger and injury. The author uses an interesting chronological narrative to make his point.

And here's another good article from Outside Magazine I found courtesy of the Narc's website on a young, but already very accomplished alpinist, Colin Haley.

Also, here are a couple good videos. In honor of Soph's friend Jim Karpowitz, the Karpowitz Slapper at E-rocks, MO. I don't know if it's named after him, but it looks like a fun problem. And here's one of Aaron Reynolds (now in Boulder), climbing Body Karate V9 in Jackson Falls (filmed/posted by the Notorious V.I.S.H.A.L). :)

Edit/Update: OK, so it's snowing today, and the weather sucks. We're maybe going on Friday (high of 49!). Keeping my fingers crossed. Soph and I met with Joe and Kerry for coffee. Here's a video from last year of Joe sending Broken Sword V4 at Mystic Bouldering, CT. It's the second to last video and Joe is the second climber starting at 1:35. Feel free to comment on his topout technique. heh.

No comments: