Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Jackson Falls - Nov 23, 2008 FIRE at Jackson!

posted by Saucisson #3

climbers - Calvin, Little John

First, news at the Falls: after climbing all day, we climbed the rope ladder to discover that some idiot had accidentally or deliberately started a fire. 4 acres burned, but noone was hurt and no personal property was damaged (that I know of). We had a nice ranger come up and ask us if we saw anything. We got there around 9:30, and met people around 10 - 11am who didn't say anything, so I'm guessing the fire started between 11 and 3pm, when the fire department and park service were notified.

If anyone has any information related to this, please contact the forest service.

Back to regular programming:

I've been having a hard week climbing-wise. All week, I felt heavy, as if gravity had turned up an extra notch. You know that feeling, most likely. Climbing at the gym felt... hard. Same routes, or similar routes of relatively easy grade just felt pumpy. Now, this might have something to do with all the food I've been powering down, but that's not important. :)

Saturday night, I was worried about the trip falling apart, but John got back to me at the nth hour and we made plans to head out. Yusuf has elbow trouble and sat this one out.

I had an inauspicious start: at the Gallery, my fingers froze so bad I bailed on Group Therapy .10c at the 3rd bolt. That, and I felt... pumped. I came back down, unfroze my fingers and climbed it twice as a warm up. But, whew, I thought it was a harbinger of a bad day.

Turns out, it was an ok day. I sent Lost Innocence .12c second try, which was my current mini-project. I now feel justified in wishing it was slightly longer, but whatever, it's a rad climb. Glad I stuck the move.

After that, John sent Hidden Treasure .12a, second try and I one-fell it a couple times at the crux. I think on another less 'heavy' feeling day, I would have sent, but today wasn't a good day except for Lost. Case in point: I almost biffed badly on Lovely Arete .11a (sandbag dude!) and basically climbed like a turd-stuffed overweight monkey, whimpering in fear and almost dirtying my pants. But my hands were just tired; I couldn't hold on to save my life. I'll have to climb it again some other day.

Paradoxical day - I climbed 12c, but couldn't climb 11a. Go figure. But still, a good day. :)

No comments: