Monday, March 1, 2010

Bouldering Grades V15? - Updated with Vid

There's an interesting discussion on Jamie Emerson's site about the validity of the V15 grade. Or, more accurately, how are we able to figure out if a combination of two problems, say V7 into V14, actually deserves V15? Read the comments, along with interesting input from Dave Graham, who has climbed Esperanza and considers it soft V14 at best.

Here's a link to the vid on Deadpointmag.

Nice video, but the level of photography (listen for the all shutters going off in the background) seemed a bit surreal. He's just climbing a rock, right?

I think the discussion is silly. Why? Because to translate it to something I know, bouldering at a very low level, I've never heard of people breaking down a V5 or V7 into 2 distinct parts of say, V3 into V4 = V5 or maybe V6. People just state their opinion and we're left with exactly that, an opinion. I understand it's more interesting to debate ground-breaking grades, but it's all a waste of time to me. Maybe you think differently though, and I can respect that.

Yesterday was a great day out at the Falls, I'll post something soon.

5 comments:

JOE said...

I touched the holds on Desperanza the day after Woods sent. I haven't washed my hands since, I may never. Unfortunately, no mojo was transfered to me as I still flailed on the easiest line on Martini Roof.

Calvin said...

haha... I'm effing jealous you're in Hueco.

JOE said...

I'd be jealous if I was still in Hueco, but I'm home. It was a quick, impromptu weekend trip. We need to spend time out there next fall though - do you think you'd be able to do a week in mid-Nov or early Dec?

Calvin said...

It's a bit hard to plan that far out, but let's tentatively say yes.

Th.Sanger said...

It would have been V15 if he topped out. Slacker!

p.s. parent hood hasn't been kind to my climbing skills. Fatter and weaker than ever before.